The Making Of The Apocalypse Town, Part 6: Apocalypse Sound

A long time ago I thought this song might be in the show, but I wasn’t able to get the legal rights to include it. The story behind those legal rights is an interesting one. You can read it in full in Lindsay Kayser’s companion book to Apocalypse Town, available in a limited edition of 30 at the performance only.

Like so much of this show, the authorship of this song is complicated. Like so much of this show, this song doesn’t have a single source, or even a single country of origin. Apocalypse Town comes from Kosovo, but it also comes from Texas, and quite a lot of other places too. And it doesn’t just come from me. It comes from a whole bunch of people I met over the past five years, and a whole bunch of people I knew before that, and a whole bunch of people I never met and never will.

So here’s a link to that song, with no rights claimed, and given away for free. So many pieces like this one exist around the periphery of Apocalypse Town. Short stories, essays, instrumentals, and songs. Some are included in Lindsay’s book. Some are forgotten in the corners of my hard drive somewhere. And some are on this website. Ultimately it turned out to be the best thing to not include this song in the show. Funny how that works. You start out thinking one thing is extremely important, that it might in fact be the key to the entire production. And then, in the end, it turns out to not even make an appearance on stage. Other stuff crawls out of the shadows and becomes the whole reason for doing the thing in the first place. I am still discovering that kind of stuff about Apocalypse Town, even now, just two days before opening. See you there.



- t


p.s. I love you, Kosovo music. “Go, Go, Go”... Mitrovica native Milica Milisavljević-Dugalić singing a very popular style of folk/pop.




p.p.s. I love you too, Houston.