Guest Blogger: Cathy Power

The first time I met Tony was when we performed in Threepenny Opera together back in 1998. My mother asked me who that cute guy playing accordion was. “You know. The one who looks like that guy on Party of Five.” I was acting, not playing music. I wasn’t an actor, but I heard they were short one whore. I figured whore was something I definitely could do.

Toward the end of the run of the show, I heard that someone in the show needed a drummer for just one song for a cabaret. Well, I am not much of a drummer. But it was a simple song. No problem. I said I could do that and the band became curious. So, that’s how I got in the band. Well, not this band specifically. But pretty much the same group of people – different name. That’s also how I first met my husband, Chris Bakos, who is also in this band. We met first at Tony’s house for a recording session. I wasn’t instantly attracted. I mean, he does not look like the guy in Party of Five, although he is pretty darn cute. Also, he was playing a purple bass. That was the main thing. The purple. I could not go for purple. Turns out it wasn’t his bass. So, I got over it.

Working on Tony’s projects gives me and Chris the opportunity to sing together, which we love to do. It is not something that we typically do in the other bands we play in. In Apocalypse Town, we get to sing to each other. This is a long held fantasy of mine. I always want to do “Islands in the Stream” at karaoke but Chris won’t indulge me. So, thanks, Tony. Thanks for helping me live the dream.

- CP


p.s. We love you, Kosovo music. Here's a video of modern Kosovo rockers Asgjë Sikur Dielli performing their cover of a famous song by Mitrovica native Muharrem Qena. We're doing our own very different version of this same tune in Apocalypse Town. Don't forget to make your reservations today...




p.p.s. We love you too, Houston.